Flying solo...

Last week Little Bear and I got back from visiting my best friend in Barcelona. It was just the two of us travelling; I cannot remember if I invited my husband and he chose not to come…or if I didn't actually invite him! Either way, I didn't really want him tagging along and he didn't really want to come. Nothing against my darling husband of course – I adore him and we have so much fun together…but this was a girls holiday! My husband and I have always remained quite independent people, we love spending time together as a family but we also enjoy pursuing our separate interests and spending time with our own friends. 

My friend and I have been going away together for over 10 years (since before I even knew my husband) and it is important to me that we continued our annual tradition even though I am now a mum. Being honest, I was a little nervous. Travelling can be stressful and tiring at the best of times, without adding a small person that you are solely responsible for into the mix (let alone one who has recently learnt to walk and has literally no interest in staying still). But nerves weren't holding me back...

So how was it?

Sadly nothing seemed to go my way on my outward journey! My drive to the airport was made more challenging thanks to fog, I struggled to find a parking spot in the long stay car park, no-one offered to help me with my hoard of luggage as I clambered onto the bus, baggage drop was electronic and confusing with a lack of human interaction too. But then the worst part: security! I completely respect the importance of strict security measures and I am more than happy to conform – it is paramount for the safety of all travellers and I am glad there are strict procedures in place. However I feel my experience of getting through security could have been made a lot less stressful if the staff had been just a little more understanding or sympathetic.

Gatwick Airport (my departing airport) claim -

"We're doing everything we can to help get your family holiday off to a good start. That’s why we're proud to be the first Family Friendly accredited airport."
[http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-services/children/]

I was instructed to go to the dedicated family security lane. You would assume that a 'dedicated family lane' would be accustomed to dealing with individuals travelling with babies or children right? Otherwise what would be the point in having them? It was my own fault really, whilst juggling passports, boarding passes, change bag, wheelie case, pushchair etc. I had left my phone in my pocket – which of course set off security scanners. I had to be searched and scanned in the full body scanner (Little Bear had to be searched too!)…it was pretty scary and intense.

As I said I respect the need for strict security measures but in a dedicated family area I feel that Gatwick Airport security staff could have been a little more sympathetic of a woman travelling alone with a baby. The man I dealt with was rude. I was initially asked why there wasn't “an adult” with me, to which I of course proclaimed that I was an adult…with nothing more than a rude, sarcastic laugh in response. They told me they had to take my baby off of me in order to conduct the search. This was obviously upsetting. Instead of being sympathetic, however, the staff were really cold and merely questioned why there was not another adult with me who could “hold the baby”. I don't object to being searched, but a smile or sympathetic tone is all it would have taken to make me feel a little more at ease.

I suppose I just didn't understand how shocked that these particular individuals (in a ‘family friendly’ airport, in a ‘dedicated family lane’) appeared to be at somebody travelling alone with a baby! Surely there are single parents or other parents visiting friends or family that have travelled alone with a baby? Surely they should be more equipped to help individuals travelling alone, especially in a dedicated family area?

To be completely clear however, the last thing I want to do is put anyone off flying with a baby! The rest of the trip went smoothly and we both had a great time. We had fun on the beach, drank Sangria (well my friend and I, Little Bear is a little too little!), ate tapas (which she did get stuck in to), went sightseeing, visited Casa Batlló, went to the zoo, saw beautiful buildings and played in the park – I could go on! Little Bear enjoyed every minute and the issue at security didn't spoil her trip at all! I am definitely not put off travelling solo with a baby again either. In fact I have already started looking at flights for next year…although I will remember to take my phone out of my pocket at security next time!!

Here are a few tips for flying with a baby...
  • Before you head to the airport, look at your hand luggage and take out that book you’ve been meaning to read, that magazine you needed to catch up on, or that iPod you planned to listen to. You won’t have a chance to enjoy any of it with a baby on your lap. Instead replace with extra toys for baby.
  • Consider dropping off your pushchair at the baggage check-in. Most airlines will allow you to keep it up until the gate or even boarding but if you have a lot of hand luggage it might be useful to keep your hands free.
  • Even if you do keep hold of your pushchair I would highly recommend taking a carrier onto the plane. When you get off the other side there is often a long walk to passport control,  followed by queueing, followed by another walk to baggage claim before you get your pushchair. Your arms will get tired fast!
  • A money belt. Your friend/partner/family member/travel companion will most likely make fun of you (mine did)…but keeping your money, passports, boarding passes all together, safely zipped and in easy reach is way less stressful than rummaging in a change bag (aka the ‘Bermuda Triangle Bag!’)…
  • Make anything interesting. Babies tend to play with anything other than their actual toys so use this to your advantage on the plane. An empty cup, plastic spoon, really any random (safe) object you get your hands on can become precious time-fillers. Little Bear was fascinated by the laminated safety card on our flight.
  • Let them crawl/walk up and down the aisle. Sitting in a tiny space can become frustrating, so having a little stroll before they get annoyed is definitely a good idea, plus it gives the person you are sat next to a little break.


Go to Barcelona. It is so beautiful. Here are a few pictures from our trip
On the beach enjoying the sunset

Fun at the Zoo

Make shift top after we got caught by the waves

Mummy and bear love xxx

Enjoying bubbles in the park

On top of Casa Batlló



Please check out my Etsy Store -  www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OneLittleBearLTD
Follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/onelittlebearltd
Follow me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/OneLittleBear/

Comments

Popular Posts