SLEEP!!! It's OK... 10 comforting statements for sleep deprived parents

Sleep. It's a hot topic for parents. There is a plethora of information out there - websites, books, articles, opinions, advice. My little one is almost 1 and still not sleeping through so I am certainly not going to offer any advice on the subject, (in fact if anyone has any great advice please share! I am willing to give anything a go). Instead I would like to share some words of comfort for anyone suffering from sleep deprivation and let you know you are not alone. It's OK...

My little sleep thief! Smack bang in the middle of our bed!

Here are my 10 comforting statements to let you know you are not alone, all of the below apply to me -


1). It is ok that your baby doesn't sleep through yet. One day they will, I'm sure of it, right? When eventually I no longer get woken several times a night I think I will actually miss our midnight cuddles.

2). It is ok to have cake for breakfast. Some days you really do need that sugar rush and running around after a little one all day burns it off.

3). It is ok to ignore advice. Everyone wants to offer up advice when it comes to an infant’s sleep - some of it useful, some of it not. Listen, smile, nod along, but ignore what you feel is irrelevant.

4). It is ok to feed to sleep. This is opinion not fact. I have been told 'you shouldn't feed to sleep' but it works for us, I'm happy, she's happy. If something works for you, do it.

5). It is ok to have a duvet day. If you have had a really bad night, cancel plans, cuddle up on the sofa and watch cartoons together. Indulge guilt free in your PJs, it won’t happen every day!

6). It is ok to leave the chores. On the days you are feeling particularly exhausted, just leave the washing, vacuuming, cleaning, it will all be there tomorrow.

7). It is ok to co-sleep (again, opinion not fact).  I wouldn’t say we co-sleep regularly nor as the norm, but sometimes when you’ve already been up with your little one repeatedly, if it means you will all get some sleep, do it. There are specific guidelines on safety I would advise you read up on though!!!

8). It is ok to try sleep training. I hated the idea of letting my baby cry all alone in her cot but at a point of complete exhaustion last week I left her, and she did settle herself.

9). It is ok to have a brilliant plan to get your child to sleep through. But...it is ok if it doesn't work out. Babies are all different; what works for one may not work for another. It's worth a try though.

10). It is ok to give up on hair, make-up and fashion for the day. Your baby doesn't care what you look like, they think you're awesome even if you haven't washed your hair in 3 days.



Please check out my Etsy Store -  www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OneLittleBearLTD
Follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/onelittlebearltd
Follow me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/OneLittleBear/

Comments

  1. Very wise words here. It's lovely to not feel alone in the small hours of the night, knowing there are many tired, fretful mums and babies going through the same motions 💤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just need to hear 'It's going to be ok'. We have had a terrible couple of weeks, first 3 teeth popped through in the last 10 days plus she has been poorly this week. I have only just finished eating my dinner after planning on an early night this evening! Every time we think we have made progress it all goes tits up again!!! Hope you have a restful weekend x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts