The birth of One Little Bear

Let me tell you about the birth of One Little Bear. Not the actual birth mind. There are far too many horror stories about giving birth out there; as a big, fat, uncomfortable, very overdue pregnant hormonal mess, I found those stories scared the living day lights out of me! If you ask me I shall tell, but for now, lets concentrate on the birth of One Little Bear, the company. Sadly I don't get laughing gas for this one!

It has now been two weeks since my 'fate' after Maternity Leave has been decided and I am (slowly!) getting used to the idea. I am feeling more comfortable that this is the right decision for me and for my family. However, there are still a couple of things niggling me...

Firstly, I have had financial independence more than half my life and to give that up is slightly daunting. My amazing husband is so supportive and always makes sure Little Bear and I have everything we need, and a little extra! It's not his fault I feel this way, he has never made me feel like he is in control of the family income, we are a team. Perhaps being brought up by an incredibly strong-willed independent single woman is the reason being dependant on someone else is hard for me.

And secondly, I am also petrified that taking a longer 'career gap' will make it harder to get back to work when I do decide to do so. I may go back in 6 moths...a year...maybe even 5 years, but for now, I am at home with my beautiful girl - and although I love getting to spend everyday with her, I don't want that to define me. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, and it is by far my favourite role I have ever had, but for me, I need other goals and achievements to work towards as well.

It is for these reasons I decided to start my own company: One Little Bear. The name is one of my baby girls nicknames- she is our little bear. For the record, she is also known as 'Pin Head' (or 'Little Pin')...well, at least this is what my husband called her at the hospital before we had decided on a name - and its stuck ever since! I wanted to name the company after her as she is my inspiration and the reason for starting my own business. I want to stay at home with her but still keep a little independence. I will be selling handmade baby and children products, making a little bit of my own money, and also utilising my creative and business skills. It will also give me something to talk about when I do decide to return to work...you know, when they ask me about what I've been doing during my 'career break'!

Why blog? This part was my husbands idea. He felt it would be a great way to create interest and to sell myself. I am pretty apprehensive as, unlike him, I am not a confident writer or experienced 'blogger'. I struggled to get a 'C' at GCSE English, whereas he has a degree in English and writes regularly as a hobby. Having said that, I did get plenty of positive feedback following my blogging debut - which was both humbling and truly inspiring. I may not be the best or most natural of writers but the very least I can do is be 100% honest and speak from the heart.

And besides, on those days when I don't see another adult it will give me an outlet so I don't just ramble every thought I have had throughout the day to my husband the minute he walks through the door!!!

Our little bear at her first football match, 3 months



Please check out my Etsy Store -  www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OneLittleBearLTD
Follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/onelittlebearltd
Follow me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/OneLittleBear/

Comments

  1. Love reading your blog! One observation is that you talk about a 'career break' and eventually 'going back' to work. Aim high, why can't this BE your career? This IS work. If you think about it as temporary or as something you imagine others will see as a sort of adventurous hobby you had for a while, that'd exactly as others will perceive it. Aim for the stars and maybe 'going back's can be mearly a comforting fall back option? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will of course put my heart and soul in to this. As with everything in my life I will give 110%. But I love my job, it was a really important part of my life, I worked so hard to get to where I was, I don't feel I am quite ready to completely let go of that part of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts