My Top 10 Travel Must Haves: Summer sun with an Infant #MarkWarnerMum

Travel is most certainly at the forefront of my mind this month. Maybe it is the reminders on Facebook that this time 4 years ago I was in Thailand?! Maybe it is discussing my brothers plans to tour Canada, USA and South America later this year?! Perhaps it might be because I currently have no travel plans of my own this year, whereas ordinarily I would have at least 2 trips organised by this point? Being a 'Stay at home Mum' does come with many advantages and I am so privileged I get to stay home with my beautiful girl, but there is no denying we have less disposable income and have had to tone down our adventures!!

Anyway... It's the time of year we all start to think about summer holidays. If you are getting excited about your first summer holiday with an infant - you should be! We had the time of our lives last year on our first family holiday as a threesome. Read more about it in my blog - Travel, with a baby? DO IT!!

If you google 'Travel checklist for baby' you will find list after list, all quoting different things you 'need'. The likelihood is, however, that you will not 'need' as much of it as you might expect! Really consider what you are packing and if you do 'really' need it? Do your research on where you are staying, think about what you are going to be doing, and what you might be able to obtain out there without weighing down your own luggage. Pack for your needs, your family, your baby.


Here are my top 10 travel must haves for a summer holiday with an infant...


Baby Carrier: The absolute top tip I could give anyone travelling with a baby: bring a baby carrier / sling with you! Airports usually let you keep hold of your pushchair until you board the plane (which is great), BUT you aren't getting it back until after passport control at your arrival destination (which will more than likely be a fair walk from the gate). Trying to carry an irritable, squirmy, travel-fatigued infant plus arms-full of hand luggage after a tiresome flight does not sound fun! They are also a great way to explore once you have reached your destination. Little Bear spent a large portion of our 2 weeks in Florida in the carrier.

I have the BabyBjorn One, and it has been fantastic! I have been using it since LB was newborn and still using it now, fifteen months later! If I was to purchase it now I would go for the Babybjorn One Outdoors, its a little bit more expensive but knowing how much use I have had from it, it would have been worth the investment

LB in the carrier with Daddy, while Mummy shops.

Travel Cot: An actual travel cot though, i.e. one that is actually feasible to take travelling! The bog standard 'Travel Cots' are ginormous! We have the Little Life Arc 2 and can highly recommend it. It fits neatly in it’s own medium-sized backpack, is remarkably lightweight and plenty big enough when erected. When we went to the US last summer we were able to fit it in our main suitcase – and still have room for clothes, shoes and the like. It also doubles up as a beach shelter!

Swim Nappies: We really struggled to find disposable swim nappies in the US. Swim nappies are essential if you are going to be doing a lot of swimming or water fun. We use Huggies: Little Swimmers. Most pools insist on all non-potty trained infants wearing a disposable swim nappy and a neoprene swim nappy. We love Splash About swim nappies, and there is a great range at babyswimmingshop.co.uk

Fun in our pool in Florida, LB in her double swim nappy

Tupperware: Having snacks in your arsenal will undoubtedly help reduce the number of baby/toddler meltdowns when you are out for long days! Take a few food storage containers so when you arrive you can pop to the nearest shop and get some fresh local food. I love Paperchase snack boxes, they always have super cute designs and can be stored inside each other when empty.

GoPro: I have the GoPro Hero, and although it is the basic model it still takes amazing pictures! It is a great way to capture your memories and we had a lot of fun taking underwater shots and making short films. It is nice and small so can go anywhere with you, plus it doesn't matter if it falls in the water!

Underwater shot taken with the GoPro

Backpack style change bag: This is essential in parenting full stop! I have no idea why so many parents use hefty shoulder bags when a backpack is so much more convenient. My child is the captain of chaos, and I need to attack parenting with both hands at all times! I have the Tiba and Marl Elwood Backpack and I love it!

Long sleeve UV / Sun suit: One of the most worrying things about a holiday in the sun with a baby is ensuring they do not get sunburn. If you spend as much time in the water as we like to a full UV suit is great! Make sure you choose one that offers UV protection, we have an O'Neill suit from Surfdome.

Me and LB snorkelling with some Rays 

Rayshade: This is an extension sun shade that can fit pretty much any pushchair/ stroller. It folds up neatly so can be packed easily. It gives your little one extra protection from the sun and makes napping more comfortable. I find them far superior to a parasol, giving much better shade and much more portable. Available at Tescos Direct

Sunscreen: More specifically - Cyclax SPF 45 Babies. I really struggled to find a good sunscreen with a high SPF and went through plenty before finding one we liked. Some were really greasy, others would not absorb, and a couple really stained LBs clothes! Cyclax is aloe-based so really gentle, super absorbent and water-resistant.

Daddy topping up LBs sunscreen on Clearwater Beach, Fl.

Spare outfit: On your person, at all times! If you read my blog My top 3 horrific poo tales of 2016, you will understand why this is on my list! You are likely to be out for long days on great adventures and accidents do happen! Don't let an adventure end abruptly because you need to go back to where you are staying for a change of clothes. I was caught short in Florida (Epic poo explosion) and Barcelona (paddling turned into swimming!)

LB in a makeshift outfit of my friends scarf after getting soaked  

Hopefully you will get something useful from this... or at least learn from my mistakes! Just remember, there are babies all over the world! You will be apply to stock up on essentials once you arrive!





Please check out my Etsy Store -  www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OneLittleBearLTD
Follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/onelittlebearltd
Follow me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/OneLittleBear/

Comments

Popular Posts