Understand that friends come and go but a precious few, who should hold on

"Understand that friends come and go but a precious few, who should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle for as the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young."

Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen - Baz Lurhmann

This was one of many anthems of school days with my friends. That and the likes of All Saints Never Ever, Heaven Is A Half Pipe by OPM, My Own Worst Enemy by Lit, and any Britney or Spice Girls song! Back when we were swooning over Leo, drinking Smirnoff Ice sat in inflatable chairs, had incredibly thin eyebrows, and Reading Festival was 'still cool!' The song came up in conversation with my husband a few years ago and he'd never heard of it…then upon hearing it he thought it was beyond ridiculous! But to this day I still love it. Every time I hear it it brings a nostalgic tear to me eye and I immediately message my friends. But as we have grown older (and possibly wiser?) some of the words ring true more than I ever imagined. How ever different our paths may be, how ever far apart we are, my best friends are still my best friends, and they always will be!


Visiting my best friend (and favourite person to enjoy sunsets with) in Thailand

Almost 2 years ago, whilst pregnant with LB, I was in bed reading an article about friendship in one of my pregnancy magazines. It was about friendships breaking down between you and your ‘child-less’ friends once you have a baby. I remember lying there in floods of tears (although perhaps pregnancy hormones may have been partially to blame!) sobbing to my husband; I was terrified that this massive change in my life would cost me my best friend. Similarly 2 years earlier it was my friend confiding in me that she was freaking out as I was about to get married. She'd decided that I wouldn't want to be her friend once I was a boring old married lady! My husband told her, just as he would tell me in 2 years time, "You are being ridiculous! You guys will always be best of friends!". Then he reminded her that I flew to Thailand to see her on our first Valentines day as an engaged couple and continue to go on holidays/mini-breaks without him on at least an annual basis!


St Ives with my bestie 7 months pregnant with LB

My best friend and I have know each other our whole lives. Our mums and even our grandparents before us were friends too! We lived 5 minutes apart for the first 18 years of our lives, we were at school together for 7 years, we both had boyfriends in the same band. But since finishing school we have gotten further and further apart – geographically at least. She's been travelling the world as a teacher, which I admire immensely as she has gotten to see and experience so much that others could only dream of (and she’s also a kick ass teacher to boot!). But whilst shes been off globetrotting I have been rocking out as a house wife and SAHM!! House, dog, marriage, baby. Our lives could not be more different right now, but that hasn't impacted our friendship.


When I took my best friends mum to meet her at the airport after a year in Brazil. These guys are more than just my friends, they are my family!!

I guess I'm lucky, my friend is awesome with LB (hence I made her God Mother). She could be annoyed I don't have time to go out for crazy nights out every time she is back, but instead she comes along to soft play and brunch dates, walks in the park and trips to the zoo. She respects that I can't be exactly who I was before becoming a parent. I always try to ensure I make the effort to be a good friend too. Yes, I am pre-occupied by this whole parenting thing (It's a tough gig!), but I always make time to see her, regularly keep in contact over WhatsApp no matter where she is in the world, plus I always try to have some baby free time when she is home, even if it is just a quick half hour.


LB and her God Mummy on the day of her Christening


Being a parent changes you, of course it does, everything in your world is different, your priorities are completely different. But don't ever forget to still be you, don't forget your pre-baby friends. All relationships take work, but if they are worth having it will never feel like work! Never take the important relationships in your life for granted, you might miss them one day when your circumstances change once more.


Visiting my best friend in Barcelona - having fun with LB on the beach




Please check out my Etsy Store -  www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OneLittleBearLTD
Follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/onelittlebearltd
Follow me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/OneLittleBear/


Comments

Popular Posts