Overdue Due Date...

LB was born 16 days after her due date! 16 DAYS!! That two-and-a-bit weeks were possibly the most frustrating of my life. I am not a patient person at the best of times (just ask my husband) but this wait almost sent me potty! For anyone approaching, or past, their due date, you may be able to take a little comfort from my experience of being overdue…or maybe just learn from my mistakes!
 
So few pics of me pregnant - At 4 months, taking my niece to see 1D


The two weeks leading up to my due date I was terrified, anxious and impatient. I felt so out of control, this massive life changing event was going to happen at any point but I had no idea when. I am something of a control freak, so hated not knowing when my daughter would arrive! I should have been excited but I was too pre-occupied by fear and uncertainty. In truth I actually felt guilty that I wasn't more excited.


Once I reached my due date I felt more relaxed than I had done for a while. Things would start to happen pretty soon (or so I thought) which made me feel better, and I was getting a little bored of stress and worry anyway! I went out for a lovely curry with the Husband that evening; making a start on all those tried and tested ways to hurry things along! Maybe it is just my experience but I tried all of the well-known hacks and nothing seemed to make a difference.


At 7 months, on holiday with my best friend in St Ives

In the following twelve days I had two sweeps, ate a  whole lot of Nandos extra hot (I thought maybe if my waters broke in Nandos I could get one of those elusive Black cards!), and finished my Christmas shopping. I remember shop assistants asking me when I was due…then almost being shooed out of the store when I replied ‘last Wednesday’! As part of my attempts to get things moving I gulped down litres of pineapple juice and raspberry leaf tea and ate mainly spicy food or pineapple. Looking back, I definitely would not advice anyone to do this, it did not work and just aggravated my existing horrid heartburn and indigestion. Just eat what you want, and appreciate eating hot food, its a luxury you'll miss very soon!

By Week 41 I had started to get annoyed at everyone! I kept getting asked if the baby had arrived. It drove me crazy! What did they think? I was sat home with a new born hiding her from the world? And possibly even more annoying...'Do you feel any signs of labour?' I'd never had a baby…I had no idea what labour felt like! And no, I felt absolutely no signs, however much I Googled them! I know everyone was just excited and showing concern but at the time I just hated them all and decided to ignore the majority of my friends and family. If I was a bit of a cow to you that week, please know I am sorry and probably didn't mean to be! Please note: pregnancy can send even the most calm and centred people a little crazy…and since I was slightly crazy prior to pregnancy by this point I was not to be messed with!

At 12 days I was induced and the wait was over. I was sure I would have my beautiful bundle of joy in my arms later that day. Well No. Inductions don't always work like that. The induction was on the Monday morning. I went to hospital early Tuesday morning. She was finally with us Friday morning. More on that later. But 18 months later...I get it...She is the most precious, incredible, amazing thing that has happened to me, but she is stubborn, strong willed and knows what she wants from life. I can imagine her now, curled up all snug, being forced to come meet us all, thinking "I will come when I am good and ready!".

Being born and having a baby are both equally exhausting! No wonder she was putting it off!

Anyone currently approaching, or past, your due date, you are entitled to be a bit crazy. It is bloody tough! Things that normally wouldn’t bother you will drive you round the bend, and the worst part is, you know you are being completely unreasonable but you just cant stop it! Its almost as if you are staring down at yourself thinking - "What are you doing, stop being a dick" but you just cant help yourself! My best advice is just be patient. If at all possible! It really is true, they will come when they are ready. If I were to go through it all again I would definitely be far more relaxed about 'Due date'. If there is one thing I have learnt about parenthood it is to be patient and be selective with advice given, every baby is so individual and that begins before birth.


Please check out my Etsy Store -  www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OneLittleBearLTD
Follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/onelittlebearltd
Follow me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/OneLittleBear/



Comments

Popular Posts