Girly weekend...and the little things I appreciated on my break away from parenthood!

The weekend before last my friend and I visited our buddy in Barcelona. As a SAHM with a social life that could best be described as ‘low key’, it was the first time leaving my baby girl for more than a few hours.  The idea of being away Friday to Monday was as daunting as it was exciting. Despite being super-excited about my break away for months in advance, and looking forward to seeing my best friend, as my departure day neared I began to get more and more anxious. My anxiety built so much that I actually considered cancelling altogether on the morning of my flight!


Enjoying Sangria with my travel campanion

My Husband let me know I was being stupid (in his very loving way obviously)! He had been looking forward to his Daddy/Daughter long weekend for months and had exciting plans for the two of them. He also knew how much I needed a little break from mummy life. I should make it clear, my concern over leaving her was due to my own separation anxiety. I hated the idea of being away from her and missing her. I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that she would be perfectly happy in my absence. Leaving her with my husband is no different from him leaving her with me, we are 100% equal parents.


Life 'is' better at the beach. Miss living beside the seaside!

My husband dropped me at the train station and I shed a tear saying goodbye to them both. Sat on the full, sweaty train I was still feeling very unsettled. I started reading a fashion magazine…for the first time in almost 2 years. I had been looking forward to the peace and quiet, and reading a magazine that wasn't about parenting or pregnancy, but as I started to read I realised it was full of uninteresting articles, acronyms I didn't understand and products I couldn't afford to buy. I was a bit out of touch. Something I thought I had missed from my old life, just seemed pretty irrelevant in my new life as a parent.
 
A lifetime of friendship. Love these girls!

Once I got to the airport I began to relax a bit more and once I was through security, met up with my friend, and ordered a glass of wine, I was back to excited!! Our flight was delayed but chatting with my friend and setting the world to rights, was enough of a distraction that I wasn't too bothered. Once we finally arrived, our friend meet us at the airport. We got back to her house, sipped on sangria and gossiped away till 2am! It was bliss. Despite having only 3 hours rest the night before travelling (it was like LB knew I was leaving!) and having put catching up on some uninterrupted sleep at the top of my Barcelona ‘to do list’, I didn't care. I was enjoying being 'just me', rather than ‘Mumma’ for a while.

K opted for a relaxing full body massage while we struggled to SUP on choppy water!

We had a lovely relaxing beach day on the Saturday, I did some paddle boarding (not well), ate tapas, drunk beer, and read (this time my book)! Sunday was our sightseeing day. It was great having a local show us around and take us to so many interesting places. We saw lots, ate lots and walked miles. It was so lovely being away, having a break from chores, from being climbed on and clawed at, from dog barks and baby screams. It was nice to put myself first for a few days, eat when I wanted to eat, get up when I was ready (still between 6am -7am, damn body clock), sit peacefully and uninterrupted reading and even use the toilet without being rushed or joined!


Park Guell.
Nothing beats being a mum! I love it. Its by far the happiest I have ever been in my life. But here's a quick list of little things I appreciated on my break away from my daughter
  1. Eating when I was hungry
  2. Having a snack and not having to share it
  3. No toddler climbing on my lap while I used the toilet
  4. Taking a shower on my own schedule
  5. Finishing a conversation
  6. Having the time to read
  7. Taking a tiny handbag out / Flying with just a backpack
  8. Spending time getting ready
  9. Waking up naturally
  10. A break from breastfeeding

Check out my tiny bag!!

Breastfeeding

Prior to my break away, several people had suggested that my trip would be the end of Breastfeeding (and yes, I am 'still' Breastfeeding!). As I have mentioned before, my hectic child doesn't leave me a lot of time for Googling, neither do I have time to read a plethora of books and articles, so I was unsure as to why it had to be the end. I wasn't sure I was ready for it to be over but at the same time I was certainly happy of a few days break from it. I had packed a breast pump (not usually top of the list for my girly holidays), and pumped each evening to keep up supply and prevent engorgement. My friend was a little perplexed when I whipped it out my bag not long after my arrival, part disturbed and part intrigued, a couple more sangrias and I think she would have given it a try!


Milk!
Anyway, once I was reunited with my girl, it didn't take long for her to latch on, 10 days after my return and we are still feeding just as we were before I went away. My assessment is definitely that a trip away doesn't have to be ‘the end’!! Not sure when the end will be, but we are both still (mostly) happy for now.

Reunited

By the Sunday evening, despite having lots of fun and really enjoying a little break form the intense responsibilities of parenthood, I was ready to get back to my girl. Every time I saw a little one I ached for my daughter. I took advantage of my final moments of downtime on the flight home but once I was back in the country I just wanted to get back to my family. I was counting the minutes on the train home and raced out the station to meet my Husband and Daughter. It was great to be away, but it was great to be home too!  

Blessed to have amazing friends and amazing family!

Please check out my Etsy Store -  www.etsy.com/uk/shop/OneLittleBearLTD
Follow me on Instagram - www.instagram.com/onelittlebearltd
Follow me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/OneLittleBear/


Comments

Popular Posts