Hepoworth in Henley


Just a quick blog as I am super-busy preparing for Easter and my first event of the year, but I felt the urge to shout about this exhibit...


A few weeks ago I was extremely honoured to have been invited to the official opening of The Barbara Hepworth Exhibition at The River and Rowing Museum in Henley-on-Thames. It was particularly exciting for me having been a massive Hepworth fan for the past sixteen years, and even more so as her work was exhibiting just down the road from where I first discovered this amazing artist.


You may be surprised to hear that at school my best subject was Ceramics, and perhaps less surprised to know that English was my absolute worst! Anyway - I studied ceramics at The Henley College and very nearly went on to study it at degree level. It was only my fear of struggling to find work once I graduated from university that stopped me. If I knew then that fifteen years down the line the likes of social media and sites like Etsy would actually have made being a successful ceramicist far less challenging than I had imagined, I may have stuck to my original plan! It is still one of my biggest ambitions to have my own kiln one day.


You may have never heard of Barbara Hepworth, but the chances are you have probably seen her work; if you have ever walked down Oxford Street in London for instance. Have you ever noticed the sculpture on the side of the John Lewis Building (Winged Figure)? There is also a very famous sculpture - Single Form - outside the United Nations Building in New York. Hepworth is one of the biggest names in British Modern Art, an extremely cool woman and one of my biggest idols. Her ambition to be a great sculptor was overriding. She was never a massive feminist, but wanted to be treated as a sculptor rather than sculptress regardless of gender. Her work is bold, beautiful and very brave.



The exhibit is on until the 3rd of June, I urge you to go check it out! There is a beautiful collection on display with artwork spanning her whole career. There is also a great area for little ones to explore with various sensory items to encourage them to engage with art. Little Bear (2 years old) found it fascinating. The exhibit is included in general admission and your admission lasts a whole year. The museum itself is lovely and well worth a visit, with lots of intriguing interactive bits and bobs for little ones throughout the museum . The permanent Wind In The Willows exhibit is brilliant but my girl actually enjoys the 'River' section the most.  


http://www.rrm.co.uk/whats-on/barbara-hepworth-finding-form-4/


Comments

Popular Posts